1 April 2013

Thumbelina

A few people have mentioned that they have enjoyed my poem Thumbelina, so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else fancies casting an eye over it. It was first published in iota magazine a few years back, and is also in my collection Candling the Eggs. I'm rather fond of it as it was the first ever poem I had accepted for publication.


 

Thumbelina


Last night I had a
baby. She was tiny -
even smaller than my
thumb.
Her heartbeat fluttered
mothlike in my palm.

The cot was vast. Instead
I laid her in a  matchbox,
nested her in scraps of silk,
and scattered unstrung pearls
for her to play. I slid the
cover closed so she’d be safe.

Then I forgot I’d had a
baby. Life went by. Emptying
my locker, wondering
why am I at school? my
fingers found an unfamiliar
box, light as the moon.

Inside: my baby, dried
out like a leaf, her hollow
cheeks transparent, and
her tiny hands like claws;
a paper husk now sighing
into dust.

In morning’s  pallid light I
heave myself from my
uneasy bed. Inside me you
remind me you’re still
there.

 I don’t think I
can do this.


Sally Douglas

No comments:

Post a Comment