27 April 2013

Poem 22 - Girl with a Letter

Photo: Sally Douglas

Girl with a Letter
(after Vermeer)


I close the window.
Draw the curtain
so the folds of red brocade
hang flat
against the day.
. 
I held them both,
the flatness
and the folds.

The flatness of paper
and the folds
within its words,
the spilling of the fruit –

my folding of your letter
into something very small.


Sally Douglas




The first draft of this poem has been on my hard drive for a long time - since 2009, according to the date on the file.  I attended a very enjoyable Poetry School workshop, run by Lawrence Sail, which focused on poetry and paintings. This poem came from an exercise based on Vermeer's painting Girl Reading a Letter at an Open Window. I stashed the draft away, and didn't do anything with it until now, prompted by NaPoWriMo. So here it is.

Incidentally, if you haven't read any of Lawrence Sail's poetry, I would recommend it. You can find some of his poems here.

No comments:

Post a Comment