24 April 2013

Poem 20 - More Fun with Oulipo Constraints


Photo: Sally Douglas

This Day's Constraint

Today is a death to sleep.
This set of hours is rest’s oblivion.
Day and dark want that fall’s fall,
ticking tiredly away –
Wednesday, respite’s murderer.
Tomorrow is the birth of wakening.
Today is a day to sleep.


I sit within indigo hills, in wing-singing wind,
below a slope of blade south-east.
On the ground beneath the sounds,
I am low in a sky of calling flight
all arching, flying, hymning over.
Oh, low moon-bowl of owl solos
below a sky of birdsong.



This poem is a result of a bit more playing with OULIPO constraints. The Oulipo Compendium (ed Harry Mathews and Alastair Brotchie, Atlas Press, 2005), describes a way of submitting a line or a stanza of poetry to a series of variations, thereby creating a new piece of work. It sounds both straightforward, and weird. It is weird, but it's surprisingly difficult to do, and the constraints force a creativity with language which can have very satisfying and surprising results. The poem above took some lines from yesterday's poem (actually I combined some shorter lines to make longer ones for this purpose), and submitted them to the following constraints:

First Stanza

  1. First line in N+7
  2. First line as a lipogram in a
  3. First line as a univocalism in a
  4. First line with nouns eliminated
  5. First line with verbs eliminated
  6. First line treated antonymically
  7. First line in its original form

Second Stanza

  1. Second line as a univocalism in i
  2. Second line in N+7
  3. Second line with verbs eliminated
  4. Second line as a lipogram in e
  5. Second line with nouns eliminated
  6. Second line as a univocalism in o (Actually this should use the first line, but I made a mistake!)
  7. Second line in its original form
It's fun to do, and really stretches the brain! I can't claim that it produced a fabulous poem, but I think it's a brilliant exercise to get the language muscles flexing without having to face the terror of the blank page.  

And I hope I haven't made any glaring errors when applying the constraints.
Or possibly, I hostage I haven't made any glaring europeans when applying the containers...

No comments:

Post a Comment