6 August 2015

Epithalamium and The Poetry School




I'm very pleased to have a poem of mine here on the Poetry School's Campus website. It's a poem that had its roots in my daughter's wedding four years ago. My future son-in-law being an animal lover, the couple decided to theme their tables around animals that mate for life. Four years later, on a course tutored by the award-winning poet Steve Ely (Oswald's Book of Hours and Englaland are published by Smokestack) one task was to write an Epithalamium, a poem celebrating marriage. The brief was wide: it could be ironic, subversive, surreal, or an un-ironic and joyful celebration. This was the result, and I was delighted to be asked to share it on Campus .

'Epithalamium in Twenty Six Creatures' is very different from most of the stuff I've been writing recently; but that's the joy of courses and workshops - they can send you off in unexpected directions. And they're also great if, like me, you're recovering from a bit of a block!

In my commentary on the poem I talk about riddles. If you're interested, here's an early blogpost of mine (from 2011) on the subject of that and much more!


No comments:

Post a Comment