7 May 2012

Released Poem 1: Reunion


Reunion


Remember summer. Hours
of slanting sun
rising like a lever, hot
and long enough to move a world.
                                                                                                        
All the way to breaktime
its dry tide rose behind me,
scorching the slow fields of morning
until all the paths were gone.

You’d pop the silver top down
with your thumb,
post the straw and suck
your milk.

I’d hold back, hold breath:
gauging the heat-gap’s smallest slenderness
between warm glass, damp skin.
Feel the clotting of my throat.

If you were here
       you might
          remember this.


Sally Douglas






4 comments:

  1. Oh I love that idea of the sunlight moving like a lever long and hot enough to move the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, this poem took me straight back there - to the feel of the warm glass bottle, not wanting to pop the top with my straw and have to taste the awful, equally warm contents!!! Sue Br.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it resonated, Sue! I think there are a lot of adults in their forties and fifties who still won't drink milk because of that free school milk experience...

    ReplyDelete